Today, IRG is releasing the last of its Wisconsin State Agency 101 Briefings, highlighting everything you need to know about the Department of Transportation, the Department of Children and Families, and the Wisconsin Technical College System. This concludes our Agency 101 series, explaining the basics of the 20 largest state agencies in Wisconsin.
Why we did this? In a letter to Tench Coxe in 1795, Thomas Jefferson made the declaration that “light and liberty go together.” Jefferson was referring to the spread of the ideals of liberty to enlightened nations across the globe. Good government, like liberty, needs light so that the average citizen can understand and effectively participate in their government. That is what we have aimed to accomplish with the Wisconsin Agency 101 Briefing series over these past nine weeks. We wanted to lift the veil on Wisconsin’s executive branch and allow for the reader to plainly see the basic facts of these agencies. How much funding do they require, how big is their workforce, what are some of the major changes in the past few years and what do I as a Wisconsin citizen need to know.
In the coming weeks, IRG will endeavor to provide a fix for the issues that ail Wisconsin government, but first we needed to shine a light on the problems. In his letter, Jefferson compared the cause of liberty to a ball that was “now so well in motion that it will roll round the globe.” In the same way, we want to be a catalyst for reform that will once again make Wisconsin the standard bearer for good government.
Below, you’ll find links to the last three agency briefs for this series as well as a link to all of the previous editions. We hope that you have enjoyed these briefing documents and be on the lookout in the coming weeks for more from our Executive Branch Overhaul project!
Click the links below to review each of the agency briefings issued
- Department of Transportation – Agency 101
- Department of Children and Families – Agency 101
- Wisconsin Technical College System – Agency 101
- Department of Veterans Affairs – Agency 101
- Department of Revenue – Agency 101
- Department of Financial Institutions – Agency 101
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation – Agency 101
- Department of Workforce Development – Agency 101
- Department of Corrections – Agency 101
- Department of Justice – Agency 101
- Department of Natural Resources – Agency 101
- Department of Ag., Trade, & Consumer Protection – Agency 101
- Department of Health Services – Agency 101
- Department of Tourism – Agency 101
- Office of the Commissioner of Insurance – Agency 101
- Department of Administration – Agency 101
- Department of Public Instruction – Agency 101
- University of Wisconsin System – Agency 101
- Public Service Commission – Agency 101
- Department of Safety and Professional Services – Agency 101